Thursday, November 5, 2009

Theeeeee Yankees WINNNNNN


I'm gloating because the Yankees won the 2009 World Series. I thinks some of my friends are surprised that I am such a big fan. OK, fine, I'm not really that big a fan, but I'm excited when they make it into the post-season.

Baseball wasn't something I grew up with, I only learned to understand baseball in 2002 after I moved to New York, and I learned baseball watching the Yankees so it's only natural that I like the Yankees. Baseball appeals to the inner geek in me, I like numbers and baseball is all about numbers & statistics. In 2003, I went to the games more times than I could remember, I even watched the World Series in the Yankee stadium, and I remembered that stupid kid Josh Beckett that crushed my hope *digging fingers into my mousepad*. Then came 2004, ok I'll just stop there before I develop Tourette syndrome.

There's a point to this post, which is, it's amazing how an event/a victory/a tragedy can unite people ever so briefly - 9/11, Yankees winning the World Series, free concert in the park. It's about the camaraderie, the sense of pride, the mushy "I love NY" feeling. The parade was great, although I mostly saw other fans & a few glimpses of the float. But it was still fun, especially when you see people who would do anything to celebreate the champions (climbing on top of a dump truck/tree/building).




No comments:

Post a Comment