Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Roots


I've been "thinking" about starting a blog for 2 years, and I've been "wanting" to start a blog for a year, and yes, I do procrastinate, especially at things I don't particularly excel at, e.g. writing. So maybe more pictures, less words then?

Anyway, there are many things in this world I care about and I shall slowly write about them. However, the title of my blog is "My Little Piece of Paradise", and this paradise I am referring to is one of the things I care about: my hometown, a small little island on latitude 5° 25' N, longitude 100° 19' E. Penang is what it's called. The reason I love it, besides that fact that it is charming, is that it is my roots. What they say is true, you can certainly take the girl out of Penang, but you can never take the Penang out of the girl.

I sometimes wonder, if I still lived there, would I yearn for home as much as I do now? Maybe distance does make the heart grow a little fonder. I will like to start my blog by paying homage to my roots....



I recently came across this video on Penang (Penang was added to the Unesco World Heritage list in July 2008). Penang is the apple of my eye, so to me, it does have it all (echoing the slogan of Penang).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8XaYrbqadg

In the last 2-3 years, whenever I go back to Penang, I will go around like a tourist and snap pictures. I try to imagine seeing Penang from a non-local's eyes, and it's amazing how many things I find amusing when I don't take it for granted. Enjoy.

Link to Penang Photos

2 comments:

  1. I'm here again today. Just want to say naku penda. (it's swahili, if you need a hint. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amani, naku penda, naku penda we we, I don't know what it means but it was in Beyond's song a long long time ago. Maybe you can ask your friend?

    ReplyDelete