Thursday, April 1, 2010

Colicchio & Sons

Last weekend, I brunch-ed at Colicchio & Sons. I was really excited because rumor has it that Colicchio actually puts on his apron and works in the kitchen instead of just parading his name on the marquee. When I was there, I didn't see Colicchio and I wasn't expecting to, it's Sunday brunch afterall.

The restaurant is big, lofty and "cool", all the things I expected of a meatpacking district restaurant. We ordered the pastry basket and all the patries were tasty. Funn & I got the peekytoe crab omelette while T & S got the duck with poached egg. The food was decent, it didn't wow me and the portion was a little small.


When we got seated, the restaurant wasn't even crowded and the service was already spotty. At some point, they raised the shades and we were sitting directly next to the large window. It got really hot and we asked for them to lower the shades but they just ignored us. We didn't bother to linger, and I downed my coffee so that we could get out of there. The service completely fell apart, and I walked out with a bad taste in my mouth (metaphorically). That said, after reading various reviews, I will still like to try the dinner at Colicchio (probably at the Tap Room, which is more affordable). What can I say, I am a believer in second chances.

And oh, am I am the only personwho didn't realize Tom Colicchio is on Top Chef? Apparently besides succesfully building his food "brand-empire" with the Craft restaurants, he is also a tv man now. I don't know why but it's a total turn off for me. I like mysterious, temperamental chefs....so alluring. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment