Tuesday, February 17, 2009

CNY Feast II

When our non-resident chef, Nick C. (from Boston) mentioned that he wanted to cook dinner for Chinese New Year, we were excited! When I first met Nick last year, he cooked up a storm of curry crab & pepper crab, and in my opinion, he put the famous "No Name Seafood" curry crab in Singapore to shame.

The menu created by Nick for the night was butter poached lobsters, scallops with XO sauce, steamed fish with ginger, garlic & light soy sauce & CNY vege delight (mushrooms, broccolis & black moss). In addition, there were CP's mysterious slow-roast pork dish (later found out it's called Puerco Pibil) & Sarah's onde-onde (Malaysian nyonya dessert).





I stationed myself at the dessert section once I got to CP's place. I had always thought Malaysian desserts were really hard to make, but onde-onde turned out to be quite easy. I guess the most difficult part is probably trying to find all the ingredients in the city. The main ingredients are glutinous rice flour, pandan leaves extract, grated coconut, gula melaka (palm sugar) & brown sugar.

The rest of the evening was a blur, especially after I was intoxicated by the delicious black pepper crab, or maybe it was the wine. But I did remember hearing the guys doing shots in the kitchen, watching cheesy/funny videos on youtube and subsequently eating again and singing karaoke in an asian karaoke bar in the middle of nowhere in Brooklyn (see below)...ahh fun times!


More pictures here

No comments:

Post a Comment