Monday, March 23, 2009

Pork-ed out!

I can't believe I am saying this, but I think I ate too much pork yesterday.

It started with lunch at Excellent Pork Chop House in Chinatown. Excellent Pork Chop House is a Taiwanese restaurant, and for $5.75, I got a big bowl of rice topped with minced pork, preseved vegetable, a few piece of pork chops, and an egg cooked in soy sauce (hence the color). It was yummy, the pork chop wasn't as greasy as the typical deep fried version in Taiwan. I also liked the wonton in spicy oil, which is another of their signature dish.


Interesting, on their menu, they wrote *M.S.G.*....(see picture, below the telephone number). No idea what they are trying to say, maybe it's a warning?


Then I walked by this bakery with very fancy looking cakes. I wonder if they make cakes in the shape of a stripper, hah! Just a thought, in case I need to order one for my friend's bachelorette party.

A quick pit stop in Quickly for bubble tea....mmm....bubble tea is a genius invention in my opinion.

Ok, so back to pork. For dinner, I went to Momofuku Milk Bar. I am grateful to Chef David Chang because with Momofuku Milk Bar, I get to eat the pork buns without having to deal with the crowd at Momofuku Ssam Bar (which is next door). But it's so expensive, $9 for 2 pork buns!! It's a bit of a daylight robbery, but I am that sucker, who willingly paid too much for two slices of fatty pork, with cucumber, hoisin sauce and a lot of sriracha sauce.

I am also infatuated with the soft serves they have. I loved the cereal milk soft serve ($4), the marshmallow cereal soft serve is their top-seller, and it is equally good. I also got a slice of chocolate/passion fruit cake ($5!!) because it was calling my name, but turned out it was just ok, a bit dry actaully.




Address: Excellent Pork Chop House, 3 Doyers St (near Bowery Street), New York NY 10013
Address: Quickly Bubble Tea & Shabu Shabu, 237B Grand Street (near Bowery),
New York, NY 10002
Address: Momofuku Milk Bar, 207 2nd ave. (near 13th Street), New York NY 10003

1 comment: