Monday, July 20, 2009

Convivio for Restaurant Week

I must have ADD, I really wanted to stick to writing about Morocco but got sidetracked, but for a good reason, and the reason is...*drumroll*...Convivio. I'm a fan of Convivio, I've been there three times now, I think this restaurant has one of the best 4-course dinner $59 can buy. The quality of the food and the level of service are impeccable.

Last weekend I went there again for their restaurant week menu. I started with Zupetta - chilled heirloom tomato soup, seafood salad, marinated cetrioli. I LOVED IT! The tomato soup was perfectly chilled, there were 4-5 mussles in it, and they were so fresh! Not briny at all.

I also tried the salad CP ordered, Maiale - grilled pancetta fresca, roasted figs, rucola, pecorino, vin cotto. It was a fairly simple salad but the grilled pancetta was so flavorful, and the balsamic vinegrette was not boundary-breaking, but done just right.

For entree, I had the Orecchiette - little ear pasta, crushed pomini tomatoes, ricotta al olio, basil. It was a very clean & simple dish, the orecchiette was perfectly al dente. I am still thinking about the orecchiette as I write now.

CP ordered the Manzo - grilled creekstone hanger steak, grilled eggplant in scapece, young spinach, olive vinaigrette. I didn't try it but he said it was good.

WY ordered the Cernia Rossa - roasted grouper, sweet corn caponata, roasted pepper crema. I tried it and the fish was quite flavorful.

For desserts, WY & I had the Cioccolato e Caramelle - valhrona chocolate ganache, salted caramel, vanilla gelato. Again, this was simple, not gimmicky, and a great compliment to my earlier dishes. I took a bite with a layer of chocolate, a layer of caramel with a spinkle of salt, and it was the perfect bite. I love sweet-savoury desserts, and this did it for me.

CP ordered the Affogato - zabaglione gelato, freshly brewed espresso, vanilla bean crema, I've tried this before and loved it. I like to have coffee after my desserts, so this was perfect, sort of like killing two birds with one stone.

All in all, two thumbs up for Convivio's Restaurant Week menu, again, they did not disappoint, their execution was spot on. I'll write about other Convivion experiences the next time.

Address: Convivio, 45 Tudor City Place, New York, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment