Monday, May 11, 2009

Baoguette Cafe

Baoguette Cafe is now in my neighborhood! Yay! The first time I went, a few days after the St. Marks location opened, chef & owner Michael Bao Hyunh was working in the kitchen.


The spicy beef noodle soup (below) was pretty great, the broth was a little spicy, slightly sour & very flavorful.

Their signature baoguette - with pork terine, pate, pulled pork & fresh herbs is a little bit different from the typicaly Vietnamese sandwich(bánh mì). I liked it a lot, the ingredients were fresh, the baguette was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.

They also had pandan soft serve with condensed milk. It was soo creamy, too sweet but very yummy. The color looked very artificial but it tasted better than it looked. They also had a durian flavor one that I did not try. I spoke to Michael Bao and he mentioned that they will expand the flavors for the summer.


I've also tried their cat fish sandwich with cucumber relish, pickled red onion, and honey mustard sauce. You can customize how spicy you want it to me, I picked medium spicy but it was spicier than I expected, the japeno really packed a punch. The green papaya salad with tiger shrimp, mint, peanut & lime dressing on the other hand was very light and refreshing.

Looks like Michael Bao Hunyh & his wife Thao Nguyen are very savvy business people, there are already 3 baoguettes in the city now.
Address: 37 St. Mark's Place(between 2nd Ave & 3rd Ave), New York, NY 10003
Address: 61 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10010
Address: @ Pho sure, 120 Christopher Street, New York, NY 10014

No comments:

Post a Comment