Sunday, May 17, 2009

Grand Sichuan on St. Marks

Grand Sichuan is a successful Sichuan restaurant chain in NY & NJ. It serves authentic Sichuan & Hunan food (as authentic as it gets outside of Chinatown), the price is reasonable and the menu is pretty extensive.

I frequent the St. Marks location and I definitely have my favorites:

The cold cucumber with scallion sauce is a must have, it is a cold appetizer, it's garlicky (which I don't mind) & extremely appetizing.

The asparagus, egg & crab meat soup is something I like to order on a cold day in NYC.

The smoked tea duck was something I just discovered at lunch today, this is a Hunan dish, the skin is crispy and the duck meat is juicy from the duck fat.


Other favorites include Chong Qing dry & spicy chicken, which isn't as good as what I've had in Hong Kong but at least it has the same tongue numbing effect due to the giant heap of peppercorns. The chicken with spicy sauce (also called Saliva Chicken with direct translation from the Chinese menu) is a cold appetizer which reminds me of Hainanese Chicken in a spicy & sweet sauce. The desserts are great too, I tried and liked the pumpkin cake (deep fried) & sticky rice ball with sesame in soup.

Address: Grand Sichuan, 23 St. Mark's Place, New York, NY 10003.

No comments:

Post a Comment